Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Creme Passion-Banane (Passion Fruit-Banana Creams)


Hello again! As promised, this next recipe is also from section two of Chef Felder's book. When I saw the ingredients, I knew I had to try it immediately, because passion fruit is one of my favorite flavors. Sadly, my husband isn't a fan, so I rarely have reason to cook with it. This time, however, my own preferences overruled group consensus...if only for the sake of my education :) 

Adapted from Patisserie: Mastering the Fundamentals of French Pastry

Passion Fruit Cream 
1/2 cup (125 ml) passion fruit juice
1/2 cup (5 1/2 oz., 160 g) mashed banana
5 eggs
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp (3 oz., 90 g) granulated sugar
1 stick (4 oz., 120 g) unsalted butter, diced

Topping
2 fresh, ripe mango, diced

As I've mentioned before, one of the trickiest things for me at the moment is finding the proper ingredients, and most of the time I have to go to Amazon. However, when it comes to finding shelf stable 100% passion fruit juice, even those with specialty stores in their immediate area may find themselves struggling. I took a chance on this passion fruit concentrate from Amazon, and I have to say the results have been wonderful. It's 100% juice, no sugar added, and very sour in its undiluted state, but when used in baking it provides the perfect amount of tartness and passion fruit flavor. When paired with a bit of fresh mango, this dessert was a tropical and refreshing treat that was lighter than I expected, and one I'll definitely be returning to when I need my passion fruit fix. I just hope I'll find a more inventive way of plating it, next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment